Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Teach them to HELP...

So there I was.  I had loaded the groceries into my car and was left with a baby in a car seat and a grocery cart.  I saw a bagger lady just finishing up with another customer and as she approached my direction I asked, "Would you mind returning the cart inside for me?"  She looked at me, the baby, and the cart and replied, "I'm only supposed to take in my cart."  And then she walked away.  For a moment I was in disbelief. 

I exhaled, and stood there for a full minute or so contemplating what had just occured.  You see, I never imagined that someone would say no.  I mean, REALLY?  How hard is it to push a grocery cart inside when you are already headed that way.  So, I started to take the car seat out of the car and a random guy from across the lot approached and said, "I'll take that for you."  Even from far away he was able to figure out what had transpired and was gentleman enough to help.  Thank you kind stranger.

You see, there was a time when that sort of behavior was normal.  And NOT just on the part of men.  Women also knew how to HELP people out.  Back then, people were eager to open doors for each other, or assist with moving, or even to give rides to work.  And now if you need help people look at you as if you are a nuisance.  In that moment in the grocery store parking lot I was reminded of a similar incident not long ago as well...

Donating to the thrift store is part of a run I make every week or two and has been for as long as I remember.  When I was about 8 months pregnant I arrived at the thrift store to discover I could not carry one bag and one box.  They were not especially heavy, just bulky.  And I had reached the point in pregnancy when I could only wrap my arms so far around certain objects.  So I went inside thinking one of the volunteers could help me out.  But there I was told, "Due to insurance reasons we are not allowed to assist with anyone's donations."  Again, REALLY?  They didn't even ask if what I had was heavy.  They didn't even ask what it was.  Because I am sure that carrying a garbage bag of kid's clothing would have cause some major incident that would be insurance worthy.  Unbelievable.

Have we really reached the point where helping our fellow man has become a matter of insurance policies?  Maybe it is because I was raised in the South, maybe it is because I just naturally help people, or maybe it is because I am married to a gentleman...who knows.  I don't know why this bothers me as much as it does.  All I DO know is that I personally will be doing my part to see that my children do not hesitate to lend a hand.

So parents, I ask you to join me in a crusade to teach our children to be kind to those around them, to realize that no one person is more important than another.  And this is not only for parents of boys, girls can help too :-)  But HOW exactly do we teach them?

By example.  Teach them to open the door for other people by doing so yourself.  And to smile while doing so, as they may never know whose day was brightened by their smile.  Incorporate helpfulness in the household...doing chores together, pitching in to unload the car, working to build something...all of these things can be done as a team, by helping one another.  Don't make the mistake of never needing anyone's help - it will teach your kids that all people should be solely self-reliant.  By raising a generation of people who know how to say YES when someone needs help, and to ask for help themselves, they will be better for it.    

Ok, rant over.  For today ;-)

4 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE! I am one of these people who have a really hard time asking for help. A part of me doesn't like helping because people never return the favor. I am a yes Woman though so my answer is usually yes. I think it is sad that I have that mentality though. I just hope that I teach my kids who to be kind and helpful. I hope that I can retrain my mind to not care if I get any help in return, helping out shouldn't be a tally mark against others or a future IOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are southerners. We are a different breed. After living in the Pacific NW for 4 years, I'm having to readjust to people holding doors open for me and such. And all these kids calling me ma'am. That bagger lady was just being lazy. I used to bag groceries as a kid and I took tons of carts back. As for the Thrift shop...puhleeeze!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Copy and Paste baby! lol

    It doesn't matter what part of the planet you were born on, Manners should be taught from birth no matter who are where you come from. I can not stand rude people, especially when they work in the costumer service field. My kids know to open doors if they are there and sometimes they hold the door too dang long LOL. I have started the kids on saying yes ma'am and I love the sound of it I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born and raised in the Pacific NW but i also lived in the south for 4 years of my life, so I can understand the comments. However manners do exist there too...I also have been appalled at the lack of help and I've usually found that to be in places other than the PNW (not that this is about location! LOL) anyway....yes, I also have had the thrift store agony and decided it wasn't worth it. I'd rather give them to a friend! And the cart return always baffles me..why aren't there some in the parking lot (at least here in Heidelberg there are not)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you think of my posts, so type away! Please keep your comments clean - explicit wording will cause your comment to be deleted.